George Goyal from Houston says football is one of the biggest North American games. Even though the game is played wide-reaching, the professional leagues in North America are known to easily attract the best players
George Goyal from Houston says football is one of the biggest North American games. Even though the game is played wide-reaching, the professional leagues in North America are known to easily attract the best players of the world making the league more competitive. The pinnacle of the game comes in the form of super bowl that is played every year to millions of people around the world.
George Goyal Houston brings a few of the important things to be known about the football game. Let us see them further.
Object of the game
The objective of American football is to score more points that the opponents in the allotted time. To accomplish this, the players must move down the pitch in phases of play before getting the ball into the end zone for touchdown. This can be done either by throwing the ball to teammate or running with the ball.
Each of the team get 4 chances to move the ball 10 yards forward. Once 10 yards get completed, their downs reset and again have to start for another 10 yards. After 4 downs complete, and they still fail to make it over the 10 yards, the ball will be turned over to the defensive team.
Players and equipment
Even though there are only 11 players in each team on the field, the American football team is actually made up of 45 players. The teams split into three groups of attacking where smaller, stronger, faster players including quarterback who run to attacking plays and throwing ball to their teammates, defense having larger, more powerful players to stop the players from running and the special team players who are responsible to kick and punt the game with mixture of larger and faster players.
The American game fields are generally around 100 yards long and 60 yards wide. The lines on the field are drawn at 10 yard intervals to indicate how far the team has gone before reaching the end zone. The end zones are at each end of pitch and around 20 yards in length each. Posts are also found at each end where the kicker kicks the ball over.
When a player scores a touchdown, six points are awarded to the respective team. A touchdown can be scored either by carrying ball to the red zone or receiving the ball through a pass in the end zone. After touchdown, the attacking team also has the opportunity to kick the ball to get an extra point. The ball must pass between the upright posts to have a successful kick.
A field goal can be scored from anywhere and at any time on the pitch and here a successful kick will result in three points. A safety can be explained where the defense team manages to tackle the attacking opponent in their end zone and for this the team get 2 points.
Winning the game
The team having most points at the end of the game will be declared as the winner. If they face a tie then over time will be faced where the teams are allowed to play an additional quarter to find the winner.
Rules of American Football
George Goyal Houston brings a few of the rules of playing the American football. Have a look over them and play accordingly to have a good match.
- The football games last for four 15 minutes quarters. A 2 minute break is given between 1st and 2nd as well as 3rd and 4th quarters followed by a 15 minutes rest between the 2nd and 3rd quarter.
- Each team get 4 downs to gain 10 or more yards. They can either throw the ball or run the ball to fulfill the yards. As soon as the team completes the required yards, the downs are reset and also the yardage resets. Failing to make yardage after 4 downs result in a turnover.
- At the start of every football game, a coin is tossed to decide which team will receive the ball first and which side of pitch they will start from.
- The game starts with a kick-off where one team has to punt the ball down to the field for the other team to then run back with ball as far as possible.
- On the fourth down, the offence get the option of either trying to make the yards if they are short or kick the ball. If they decide to kick the ball, they further get two options; try for a field or punt. Depending on their position on the football pitch, they have to dictate their play. Anything within 40 yards or so of the opposition’s goal posts results in a field goal attempt. Further back it will make them choose the punt option for their betterment.
These were a few of the major points and rules of a football game that every player need to follow.